DRAFT PAGE update
Providing information on organic food and farming in Wales
What is organic food?
• The use of the term organic, when applied to food, has a legal meaning. It means the food has been grown and processed according to certain rules.
• The same legal rules apply in the UK and across the European Union.
• These rules of organic farming and processing are known as Standards.
• These Standards cover every stage of organic food production, from farm to shop.
So how do I know if it's organic?
• Make sure that the word 'organic' is on the label.
• check out the logo - gradually more and more products will show the EU logo which guarantees the product has been produced to EU organic standards
• The logos shown below may appear with the EU logo and indicate which of the certification companies in the UK certified the product, but imported products may carry different logos.
• The word 'organic' and the EU and certification logo mean the farm and processor have been inspected every year to ensure they comply with the Standards.
• The EU regulation currently only applies to food, feeds and seeds, but some certification companies have their own standards for non-food products.
• What are the organic food standards?
• Price and quality
• The wider context
Organic Centre Wales, IBERS, Gogerddan Campus
Aberystwyth University, Ceredigion, SY23 3EB
T:01970 622248 E: firstname.lastname@example.org